This guest blog post is sponsored by Kala Boulard of Almonds and Apricots.
With easy and delicious no-churn brown butter ice cream nestled between two tender double dark chocolate coffee-flavored cookies served with chocolate-covered espresso beans, ice cream sandwiches have never been THIS good!
Enjoy 20% off your next online purchase of LorAnn Oils with my coupon code KALA20
The shining flavors in this recipe are LorAnn Oils Coffee Bakery Emulsion, browned butter, and vanilla beans. They work harmoniously to deliver a delightful decadence that will leave you sweetly satisfied and cool you off during any hot summer day.
What You’ll Need:
Butter – I prefer salted butter, but any butter will do here.
Sugar – granulated white sugar, NOT powdered sugar.
Brown Sugar – I use dark brown sugar because I love the chewy texture and nutty flavor.
Eggs – Extra Large eggs are needed here. Please ensure that they are room temperature before baking.
Flour – All-purpose flour is needed for this recipe, but feel free to substitute with a gluten-free alternative!
Baking Powder – The most important thing is to make sure that it is not expired and your baking powder is fresh!
Cocoa Powder – For this recipe, I used a mix of different cocoa powders. Anything goes here, as long as you use an unsweetened quality brand.
Instant Espresso – I use a packet of Starbucks instant coffee but you can certainly use whatever you can find in your grocery store.
Dark Chocolate – Please buy a quality dark chocolate bar. It will leave you with delicious puddles of chocolate in your cookies and add a delicious bitterness that helps combat the sweetness of the ice cream. I use 60% dark in this recipe!
Sweetened Condensed Milk – This recipe calls for a 14 ounce can.
Heavy Cream – Heavy cream is needed for the ice cream.
LorAnn Organic Madagascar Vanilla Bean Paste – LorAnn Madagascar Vanilla Bean Paste makes this recipe taste and feel like a gourmet treat. I always say that this product is liquid GOLD and I use it in everything! Get yours here!
Tips for making Chocolate Coffee Cookie Sandwiches
- Make this recipe the night before you plan to assemble the sandwiches. This will ensure that assembly is a breeze and your ice cream will have plenty of time to harden in the freezer.
- Do not over bake the cookies. Instead allow them to fully cool and store them in an air-tight container until you are ready to assemble your sandwiches.
- Make sure everything is room temperature before you start baking to ensure the cookies come out perfectly in texture and flavor.
- You can assemble the cookie sandwiches and wrap them individually with parchment paper. They can be frozen fully assembled and enjoyed at any time.
For Chocolate Coffee Cookies:
5 tablespoons butter, softened
¼ cup sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
½ teaspoon LorAnn Organic Madagascar Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon LorAnn Coffee Bakery Emulsion
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 packet of instant espresso or coffee
12 ounces chopped dark chocolate (divided)
For No-Churn Browned Butter Ice Cream:
½ cup browned butter, cooled
¼ cup brown sugar
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons LorAnn Organic Madagascar Vanilla Bean Paste
1 cup 5-Minute Caramel Sauce (optional)
For Chocolate Coffee Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Divide 8 ounces of dark chocolate and heat on low in the microwave in 15 second intervals to melt. Allow chocolate to cool slightly on the counter.
- In your mixed, cream butter and sugars together for about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and coffee emulsion and beat until combined.
- Slowly pour the chocolate into the egg mixture and beat for 1 minute or until fully incorporated.
- Add all dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms.
- Let the dough rest in the refrigerator for 10 minutes before scooping.
- Roughly chop the remaining 4 ounces of dark chocolate and pour it into a bowl.
- Scoop cookie dough into 1 inch balls.
- Roll the dough ball through the chopped chocolate and place them 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Gently flatten the cookies to the size that you would like your sandwich to be, as these cookies will not spread very much when baking.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until just set.
For No-Churn Ice Cream:
- Line two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans or one 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter begins to foam, allow it to simmer for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally. Once the butter has turned a deep golden brown, immediately remove it from the heat and set the butter aside to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the heavy cream, brown sugar, and vanilla bean paste into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed for about 3 minutes, scraping the bowl every so often until soft peaks form.
- Turning the mixer to low, slowly pour the condensed milk into the whipped cream and mix until everything is just combined.
- Swirl the browned butter (and caramel sauce, if desired) into the whipped cream and pour the entire mixture into your baking pan(s).
- Freeze for 6 hours or until firm.
- Once the ice cream is firm and chilled, scoop out a generous scoop onto a cookie and top with another cookie.
- Add a drizzle of chocolate and top with chocolate-covered espresso beans for an over-the-top look!