It’s been the year of Tiger King, virtual concerts, TikTok dances, and now as we enter the final home stretch of 2020, we have HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS to add to the list of our obsessions. Just like the 2018 “Lime invasion,” when thousands of bright green scooters appeared across the country overnight, these chocolate spheres filled with cocoa mix and marshmallows have come out of nowhere and we just. can’t. get. enough. of. them! Good news, you don’t have to be a crafty genius to make these delicious hot chocolate bombs. In fact, level up on this new hack by flavoring your hot chocolate bombs using our Super Strength flavors. Give these interactive treats as DIY gifts this holiday season, or if you are in need for some self-care, enjoy on the couch with your favorite Hallmark Christmas movie.
Get the recipe and directions below!
What You’ll Need:
• LorAnn 3D Round Mold
• Chocolate Candy Wafers in milk, white or dark (based on preference)
• ¼ tsp. – ½ tsp. LorAnn Super Strength Flavor* of choice (In this recipe we used peppermint!)
• Hot cocoa mix
• Fun toppings like marshmallows, chopped candy canes, chocolate chips or sprinkles
• Microwave-safe glass bowl
• Metal spoon
• Food safe brush or spatula
How To Make:
- In a microwave-safe glass bowl, microwave 1 cup of candy wafers in 15 second increments until melted.
- When melted, stir in Super Strength Flavor.
- Using a food safe brush or spatula, brush a thin layer of the chocolate mixture into each section of the mold.
- Place mold into the fridge for a few minutes to set. Take out and brush on a second layer, paying special attention that at least 1/8 of an inch of the top of each mold is empty. This is where the half-spheres will combine. Repeat if needed.
- Let set for 5-10 minutes in the fridge or until hard. Gently remove the molds by lightly tapping on the plastic side of mold.
- Microwave an empty plate until hot. Take one half of the chocolate bomb and place the open side face down on plate. Swirl until the edge is slightly melted.
- Fill the melted half chocolate bomb with cocoa powder, marshmallows, and any other toppings.
- If the plate has gone cold, microwave again until hot. Take the other chocolate bomb half and repeat Step 6. Quickly, place on top of the filled chocolate bomb half to create the sphere. Gently place to the side to let the chocolate harden.
- Repeat steps 6-9 until chocolate bombs are full spheres.
- Microwave a 1/4 cup of wafers in 15 second increments until melted. Use to fill any gaps/holes within spheres. If there is extra, use to decorate the spheres, topping the melted chocolate drizzle with sprinkles, candy canes, or other toppings.
Using Hot Cocoa Bombs
- Place the hot cocoa bomb in the bottom of an empty coffee mug.
- Heat milk until 160-165℉. Then, pour over hot chocolate bomb. As the hot milk melts the chocolate bomb, it will open and dissolve.
- Stir the cocoa mix and milk and enjoy!
*With Super Strength Flavors “A Little Goes A Long Way!” These flavors are 3-4 times stronger than typical extracts so we recommend using ¼ tsp. – ½ tsp. when mixing our flavors in chocolate. Before you reach for your favorite Super Strength Flavor be sure to check out our store website to make sure the flavor is appropriate in chocolate.
Some flavors we love for hot chocolate bombs are below!
Crème de Menthe, Natural
Peppermint Oil. Natural