Made with LorAnn’s Butter Vanilla Bakery Emulsion and NEW Coral and Lime Green Liquid Gel Food Coloring, this Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe will sweeten and brighten up all your creations. Watch our easy recipe tutorial below.
Learn more about LorAnn’s Gel Food Colors and the new gel color additions below!
Achieve bold and vibrant colors in all your culinary or confectionery creations with the help of liquid gel food coloring! Gel food coloring is the preferred choice by professional bakers and candy makers, as well as the home user, since they are highly pigmented colorings. Gels can help achieve the desired coloring results in less drops than liquid food coloring, making gel colors very cost-effective for those who do a lot of baking or candy making. Gel colors are also very popular with users due to its versatility in coloring a variety of baking and candy-making applications, including frostings, icings, batter, lollipops, gummies and more!
Like most gel food colorings/paste, LorAnn’s Liquid Gel Food Colors are water-based and contain glycerin, where the semi-thick coloring creates a more concentrated form of food coloring. LorAnn’s Liquid Gel Food Colors are packaged in a convenient squeeze bottle dispenser for 1 oz. and 4 oz. sizes. This helps easily squeeze, gel food color drops into your creation since they are thicker in consistency.
Within the last year, LorAnn has added two new liquid gel colors to the product line: Coral and Lime Green.
“When choosing two new colors to add to our gel line, we utilized market research to see color trends in the baking and confectionery industry, and we also relied on customer feedback on what they would like to see from us,” says Marketing Communications Manager, Mandy Robbins. “We tested a variety of colors from the feedback and the lime green and coral is what really stood out to us because of its vibrance and simply just for the gorgeous hues they both created. I think both the professional and at home bakers and candy makers will be excited to test these two new colors in their gummies, candies, baked goods, and frostings. Our recipe team recently used both the coral and lime green to pipe a beautiful Lambeth design on a cake and the result was stunning.”– Mandy Robbins, Marketing Communications Manager
Put your piping skills to the test and create a Lambeth cake for all of your celebrations! Scroll to get recipe.
Perfect Pipeable Swiss Meringue Buttercream
2 ¾ sticks salted butter
6 large egg whites, room temperature
1 ¼ (250g) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon LorAnn Butter Vanilla Bakery Emulsion
3-4 drops Assorted Liquid Gel Food Colors (We used Lime Green and Coral)
Pinch of salt
- Before starting, wipe down the mixing bowl, whisk attachments, and all other equipment with white vinegar to ensure there is no fat residue on anything.
- Add the egg whites and sugar to a stand mixer bowl and set over a double boiler.
- Stir constantly until the egg whites reach 140°F-144°F. Remove from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Using a stand mixer, whip the egg white and sugar mixture on high speed using the whisk attachment until medium-stiff peaks form.
- Turn mixer down to the lowest speed and slowly add the softened butter in chunks.
- Next, add the butter vanilla flavor and whip on high speed for 8 minutes.
- Place the bowl back over your double boiler to soften the butter a bit more, about 30-60 seconds until small puddles form at the bottom of the bowl (this process is called tempering).
- Transfer to the paddle attachment and beat for 5 more minutes on low speed until it is shiny and completely smooth.
- Divide buttercream into separate bowls and color using LorAnn Liquid Gel Food Colors of choice.
*Double this recipe if you want more buttercream for cake decorating.